Garrett in front of the Guayaquil Temple

Monday, December 26, 2011

26 Dec 2011

Hi again family! Yes, I know it has been a short time since we talked yesterday, but I will take a little time to write something short! It was really nice to talk to all of you and hear your voices, it was long-awaited! I enjoyed the pictures of your gingerbread houses, they all look great! However, I do give Mom the "Best looking house" award, although all of them look fantastic! Too bad graham crackers aren't sold here, or else I would have made my own too! However, we did make plenty of our own food on Saturday and Sunday, so we were well fed! I mentioned to you that I made pancakes yesterday for the other Elders in the house, later on in the night I remembered I had bought a box of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, so we had no problem in downing that either! It was definitely an experience I won't soon forget. I'm told that for New Year's we also have to be in the house, and I imagine why. People here build things called "monigotes", which are large renditions of popular figures from movies and entertainment this year, and when New Years rolls around, they burn them in the streets, causing a lot of black smoke to fill the sky, which probably doesn't help anyones lungs, and they all will probably drinking heavily, which could spell disaster if someone isn't careful. So, I'm fine with being in the house. But one of the popular monigotes is of the Smurfs (Pitufos en español). There are also some of Ecuadorian president Rafael Correa, many of The Simpsons, and whatever else happened to be popular in this year.

We'll be working really hard to get two baptisms this week, but with another short week, it could be more difficult than expected! We are still working with two great people, Holger, and Noemi. Both of them have a baptism date for this weekend, and they're both excited, so it's just up to us to keep them excited and arrive at the waters of baptism this weekend! I'll let you know how that turned out next week, which will also mean 1 YEAR!!! Woo hoo! Wow, the time has gone by real fast, and this next year will go by even faster I imagine! It will be a time of working hard and diligently, getting as many people possible back into the Lord's fold. I do oft-times ask myself "Where did this first year go?" I have had many experiences, which I'm trying hard to remember them all! The mission is for sure a unique opportunity in life to get to know how things are in other parts of the world. It took me a while to figure how people maintain themselves here, and in different ways, but they manage to do it, which I see as a grand blessing for them!

Well family, like I said, just something short for this week, as next week will be a little longer, maybe a look-back on 1 year as a missionary!

Love you all! Write ya next week!

(I tried uploading some pictures, but it didn't work, next week then!)
--
Elder Garrett Cederquist
Misión Ecuador Guayaquil Sur

No comments:

Post a Comment