Garrett in front of the Guayaquil Temple

Monday, January 16, 2012

16 Jan 2012

Hello family from sunny, rainy, humid, call it what you'd like Guayaquil! The weather has been each one of those this past week. Well, first off, my thoughts and prayers go out to the Hyde family for the passing away of Sister Theresa. That is very sad news to hear. The Hyde family has always been an example to me, the Lord has greatly blessed that family over the past few years. I will certainly keep them in my prayers.

This past week was kind of tough, as the program here in Puerto Nuevo is a little low, so we had to go out and find more people to teach, which was a little more difficult than in times past. I finally started to realize this last week that there is a lot of confusion amongst the people here who attend "their" church. It seems about every block in this part of G'quil has at least one, maybe two churches, Evangelical, Jehovah's Witnesses, Catholic, etc. Seeing that as a missionary is rather mind-blowing and confusing to me as well. And it seems people just start up a "church" right there in their own house as well, it's unbelievable. What Elder Alvarez and I are having to do is explain in great detail the whole point of Authority from God, something that ONLY the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints possesses. But it takes more than just saying that, it includes using the Bible quite a bit to prove that it is actually true. But not everyone believes the same way, and some just flat out reject the message we teach. For I think the first time in the mission I had a Book of Mormon rejected by someone last week. That gives me a new perspective on the mission work, not that they're bad people, but it will take a long, hard effort to find those elect of God. And that's the purpose, to find those who will accept the restored Gospel in their lives.

I was able to see some of the awesome members from Las Esclusas this weekend, as we, well I, was teaching an English class, and Esclusas had a cleaning project in the Chapel. Many members mentioned that "they missed me" and "things aren't the same." I was very humbled to hear them say those things, not that I'm boasting of myself in any way, but it was very good to see them happy!

Also in Ecuador this past week, Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad made a stop in Quito to visit President Rafael Correa. I'm sure that lifted a few eyebrows back in the States. Not much came of the visit from what I heard, but Correa just completed 5 years as president, and he's trying to make it so he can be in office longer. We'll see what happens there...

Well, the good news is that there are photos this week! Some photos of those "monigotes," good food, and a small house! And I also received my package last week! I'm good to go now!

I love you all! Hope you're enjoying your holiday! 

Write you next week!
--
Elder Garrett Cederquist
Misión Ecuador Guayaquil Sur

No comments:

Post a Comment