Garrett in front of the Guayaquil Temple

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

10 Stitches! 17 April 2012

Hey family, I apologize for not writing yesterday, but it has been a really
crazy week, but before I start recounting all what happened, just know that
all is well with me!

After writing last Monday, I didn't feel too good, so I called the nurses
of the mission to tell them what was up and that they'd have an answer for
me Tuesday morning. Well, Tuesday rolled around, I still didn't feel too
hot, so the nurses had an appointment set up for me in the afternoon at a
small clinic nearby. Well, after three hours of being in the clinic, they
told me I had a case of Dengue Fever, which somewhat scared me, but didn't
make any sense whatsoever because I hadn't been bit by a mosquito in a
really long time. But they also told me I had a little case of Bronchitis
as well, something which made more sense seeing as I was coughing, having a
little trouble breathing. After leaving the clinic, we went to a nearby
Pharmacy called Sana Sana, where I could pick up what I needed. Here is
where  things get interesting.... Due to the clinic appointment and a
district meeting in the morning, we hadn't been able to eat anything "good
-sized" to knock out our hunger. As we entered Sana Sana, I started to feel
a little light-headed, but didn't think much of it until I started to feel
even more light-headed as I was buying the medicines I needed, and before I
knew it, unfortunately, I had passed out, right there in the pharmacy.  Even
worse about this incident is that as I was going down, my head hit the
counter, leaving a nice gash right above my right eyebrow.

So after 15-20 minutes of putting my puzzle pieces back in order, we went
back to the clinic in which we had just left, but this time, I needed
stitches. Many of the people that I had  saw there after leaving the first
time, I saw again, and they all gave me a "Hey, you were just here" kind of
look. Well, they were right, I had just left, and made a quick return. The
second stop at the clinic ended up with me getting 10 stitches to close
this "star-shaped" gash. Afterwords, the nurses and the secretaries of the
mission came to see me, rather shocked at hearing what had happened to me
in a such a short time. They then told me that President and Sister
Montalti wanted me to go be hospitalized in the Hospital Alcivar,  one of
the best hospitals here in Guayaquil to check out the problem with my
lungs, and to recover a little from the stitches. So from Tuesday night to
late last night, I was in the hospital, having tests done to see what was
the problem and at the same time being treated for  this problem. The
diagnosis was a case of Pneumonia in my left lung, which I believe was the
cause of all those pneumonia episodes many years back. The doctors told me
that in this sector I'm working, it's likely for an illness like that to
arise. There is a lot of garbage because of markets, a lot of dust, and
when the weather goes from sunny to rainy, certain illnesses can arise, and
that's what has happened in this case. But as I stated in the beginning,
I'm alright, I feel much better than I did this time a week ago. I was on a
lot of breathing treatments, just as I was as a kid, so nothing was too
different, just perhaps trying to recount my medical history in Spanish
was the only difference. Luckily the doctor I had is a member of the
Church, and he took good care of me while I was there. I was able to watch
a little TV as well, so I got caught up  on some things.... :)  I do have
some medications I'm taking now, being out of the hospital, so I should be
all set to go. The question of if I'll get transferred to another sector
remains unknown, however it wouldn't surprise me if I were to be
transferred to avoid another case like this again.

As I mentioned, I'm doing fine, although the stitches look a little
different. I had some of them removed today so the cut can heal up quicker.
Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me to get any photos, but I do
have some I took this morning, but I'll have to send them next week.

So that's about it for this week's report, I promise that next  week's
report will be much more tranquil, and I'll be sure to take care of myself!

I love you all! Talk to you next week!

PS: I AM FINE!!!!!  :)

--
Elder Garrett Cederquist
MisiĆ³n Ecuador Guayaquil Sur

No comments:

Post a Comment